Day 22 of One Zentangle a Day, and it only took me three months to get this far! That’s why I write about the book days rather than calendar days. The book week’s chapter deals with color and talks about using the color wheel. That’s actually separate from the day’s tangle assignment. Call it a bonus, or extra credit.
The Zentangle pattern for today is Tagh, which looks like feathers or scales to me. In addition to Tagh, the author presents an unofficial tangle called Tat. Both will be used in this day’s tangle, along with one or more previously learned motifs. Naturally, I decided to do ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art) instead of a regular Zentangle tile.
Tagh is used for the bird’s wing and around its eye. Tat is the plant life in the foreground around the bird. The foliage is Samson, the spider is Squid, and the web is a tangleation of Dyon. Fescue acts as a filler for too much white space. (Hmm. Should have planned that out better.) Other patterns used for the bird include Flukes (breast), Static (lower body day), and tangleations (modifications to basic tangle patterns) of Poke Root (above the neck), Nekton (tail), and Yincut (beak). The top of the head is Amaze and Chainging circles the beak. OK. I think I covered the patterns used.
Tomorrow I will try to play with water color–probably as a wash over a completed tile. I was thinking of putting a wash over today’s tile, but I like it too much to inadvertently mess it up.
While working this tile, I can’t say that I was thinking much of anything except the piece itself. I tried to figure out which patterns to use for different parts of the bird and for the foliage in the background. Maybe if I had stopped to plan the tile better, there would be less white space across the center. All I focused on at first was the bird, the greenery it sits on, and the best use for Tagh and Tat in this lesson. Once the bird and grass were in, I realized There was far too much white space. Time to add some foliage overhead. After I drew in Samson for the foliage and added the spider and web, I sat staring at the blank area, with little coming to mind to help me. So I turned to my mini tiles (see Monday’s post) and found Fescue from one of the first patterns in the book. It helped, and the tile is much less empty.
Clearly, planning a Zentangle or ZIA in advance of drawing can be very helpful. I suspect that planning is a no-no in the philosophy, as the whole idea of drawing a string and filling in the sections with official motifs that come to mind is part of the meditative process. Since I gave up on the meditation aspect some time ago, I should know better than to create without an action plan. To be honest, I did plan, but realized too late that filling the background with Flux probably would make the piece look too cluttered or too busy, or (worse) detract from the bird as a focal point. So I sighed, got out my minis, and rediscovered Fescue.
The rest, as they say, is history.